- The second United States Secretary of Homeland Security.
- Co-author of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Holds Dual US and Israeli Citizenship.
- Co-founded the Chertoff Group, a risk management and security consulting company, which employs several senior officials from his time as Secretary of Homeland Security as well as Michael Hayden, a former Director of the National Security Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Chertoff has been an advocate of full body scanners at airports while maintaining clients which include manufacturers of body-scanning systems. He has given dozens of media interviews touting the need for the federal government to buy more full-body scanners for airports.
- Chertoff Group, his security consulting agency, includes a client that manufactures the machines, Rapidscan. In the summer, TSA purchased 150 more machines from Rapiscan with $25 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds.
- Chertoff joined the Board of Driectors of: BAE received $7.1 billion in U.S. government contracts in 2009, making it the government’s eighth-biggest contractor.
- BAE is a global defense, security and aerospace company. In 2009 BAE Systems reported sales of GBP 22.4 billion (US $36.2 billion).